What Kinds of Issues Do People Want Help With?
People seek the help of sex therapists for many different reasons. Some of the issues that sex therapy can help with are as follows:
- Difficulty either getting and/or keeping an erection
- Difficulty maintaining control of ejaculation or trouble with timing
- Inability to orgasm either alone or with a partner
- Finding the ability to relax and enjoy sexual activity a challenge
- Lack or loss of sexual desire
- Exploring gender identity
- Feelings of embarrassment or shame about your body and sexual functioning
- Painful intercourse (known as Dyspareunia)
- Involuntary spasming of the vagina (known as Vaginismus)
- History of sexual abuse, rape, or threatened sexual trauma
- Intimacy and relationship problems are affecting your sexual relationship
- Feeling bad about your body is negatively affecting your sexual life
- You've been faking orgasms because you're too ashamed to talk about your difficulty climaxing
- You find yourself passing on having sex with your partner because it's difficult to get and/or maintain erections
- You're so worried about performance that you avoid sexual intimacy
- Since having a baby, you're less interested in sex
- You want to talk to your partner about your desire for kinkier sex, but are afraid of how they will respond
- You want sex frequently and your partner isn't interested
- You don't want to have sex and you feel like your partner is constantly pestering you about it
- Feeling like you spend too much time thinking or fantasizing about sex
- Having sex is painful and you feel hopeless about ever freely enjoying it
- You have questions about your sexuality and don't know who to ask
- Your partner wants an open, polyamorous, or non-monogamous relationship and you're unsure if you can handle it, or if you even want to try it
I understand that it is sometimes daunting to reach out to a sex therapist. People who have contacted me say that I make the process easy, warm, and welcoming, starting with the very first phone conversation.
NSTA is now exclusively an online practice, using a HIPAA-compliant video platform to conduct therapy.
Thank you so much for your support, encouragement, open-mindedness, positivity, and many other traits. It has been a wonderful growth process, and I couldn't have imagined a better form of therapy, or therapist for that matter. I just want you to know how much we value and admire your abilities. You, and the sessions, have challenged us in ways we couldn't have imagined, and we are so much better for it. Thanks for exceeding expectations. No wonder you have the reputation you do.
–P. and N., Florence, MA